Monday, April 04, 2011

Good Pages


I don't normally have much luck with "Christian" fiction (or films for that matter....see yesterday's post :)
Either I just don't get drawn into the story enough to stick with it, or I don't get into the genre, or frankly, the writing stinks.  But something about this book pulled me in.  

Travis Thrasher.  Where have you been?  This is a love story/mystery that also dealt with the world of publishing.  English geek that I am, it really intrigued me.

I don't know why I've never heard of him.  He's written over a dozen books.  Well, you can bet I'll be spreading the word!


If you have kids, go get this little gem right now.  Now!  It's a book of poetry with a CD of most of the poems (over 50!) read by the authors.  I can't tell you how jazzed I was to find this.

Some of the highlights:

Langston Hughes reading "The Negro Speaks of Rivers"
Rita Dove's voice
Billy Collins reading "On Turning Ten"
Roald Dahl's voice

And it's really not just for little kids.  These are fantastic poems for K-12 kids, seriously. In my classes,  I'm sharing each Friday one of my favorite tracks from the CD.  WooHoo!  (I know, I'm weird.)

No comments: