Sunday, April 03, 2011

Who Moved My Cheese?

Tonight we watched a movie after dinner - The Secret of Jonathan Sperry.  It was a Christian film, which I usually dread because of ....how do I put this?

Cheese, folks.  Mozzarella.  Gorgonzola.  You get the picture.  I just can't handle it.  Taking the sacred and holy and mixing it with Colby, Swiss, and Cheddar....ok, enough.

But because I have children under the age of 10 (for a few weeks, anyway) and entertainment choices are limited, we put it in.  I was cringing to myself during certain scenes, but the beautiful thing is that my children are still innocent and young enough to be cheese-proof!  They were listening.  And I was feeling guilty for my snobbish ways.

In the film, a young boy becomes quite bold in telling others about Jesus and the importance of reading the Bible.  When the boys went to bed, A. read the Bible with them and they talked about the movie some more.

A few minutes after they were tucked and in bed, D. came up the stairs.

"I don't feel good," he said.  This reminded me of when I was little and whenever the Holy Spirit spoke to me, I felt like I was going to puke.  Weird, but true.  Do you need a bucket or do you need to obey God??

We encouraged him to go in our room and ask God what He might be saying to him tonight.  He came back after about 30 seconds :)

"God wants me to tell people about Him when I am older," he said.  We talked through that some more ("You don't have to wait until you're older!") and prayed with him.  And then after he went to bed, G. comes up and we go through the whole thing again.  He didn't share the same things as D., but he was definitely feeling some emotions.

Do I think God just called D. into the ministry?  I don't know.  Perhaps.

What I DO know is that God is writing the story of my children's lives.  I would like to write it myself, but I know that's not best.  Can God use a so-called cheesy Christian movie to move the hearts of my children?

Absolutely.

I really have to start getting out of God's way sometimes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! So thankful that you all are instilling the values that are so important. I know it isn't easy sometimes but hang in there....God is going to do amazing things with your kids.
Mom