Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Built-in Happiness



A happy girl :)

We are loving the beginnings of warm weather around here -- thunderstorms, sunshine, and that neon-green shade the leaves are in May.  Glorious.

I don't think I'm one of those people whose mood changes with the sun or lack thereof, but I can see how difficult it would be to cultivate inner sunshine when the clouds won't go away. 

Bob Dylan once said that his wife had a "built-in happiness" that never ran out.  He said her happiness never depended on him, and he loved that about her.  I pray my husband can say that about me.  I pray my children can say that about me!  How can I build happiness inside me, a well that never runs dry?

* Hang out with Jesus every day.  I'm a prayer-writer.  I have to have a pen in hand when I pray, or it's not happenin'.  I must go to the source of joy itself if this is going to work.

* Surround myself with positive, encouraging people.  Go away, grumpy.  You are drying up my joy well.

* Remember that moods come and go, but a spirit is built over time.  It's okay to have a bad day.  It's okay to be crabby every once in awhile.  But choose joy and find something to laugh about, for cryin' to Pete.