Friday, February 03, 2012

Corrie for a New Generation


I can remember being a little girl in church and seeing pictures of this old woman on books and pamphlets.  I didn't know anything about her except that she was from another country and Christians seemed to like her a lot.

Corrie Ten Boom is no longer here -- she's partyin' with Jesus -- but I've still learned so much from her.  The Hiding Place is her story of how her family protected Jews during the resistance in Holland and then how she survived a concentration camp in World War II.  No one else from her family survived, and I believe it was so the story could be told for generations:   that "there is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still."

I have been reading this book with my 9th graders.  A few weeks ago, one of them was about to leave for Haiti on a missions trip and was understandably nervous, apprehensive.  Then, we read this particular section aloud one day,
"There are no ifs in God's world.  And no places that are safer than other places.  The center of His will is our only safety -- Oh Corrie, let us pray that we may always know it!" (p.84)

I looked at this student who would soon be going to a land filled with unknowns and possible dangers and I could barely keep myself from crying. 
All I could say was, "Don't forget that."

 If you've never read the book before, I encourage you to get this version - the 35th anniversary edition.  It has some great photographs and extra features.
 The actual hiding place was built into a nook in Corrie's room, behind a dresser.  One would lift a panel along the bottom, crawl in, and then stand up once inside the small room.
The brick was used so that the Gestapo wouldn't hear anything hollow on the other side.  It was never discovered.

Corrie's life is inspiring because she truly put God's priorities first.  She loved what God loved and hated what God hated.  I can't wait to see her smile in heaven, and her joy from finally being united with her family! 

2 comments:

Susan said...

Hello God, via Jeannie,
I get it. This is the fifth time, within one week that I have heard about her. Downloading immediately to my Kindle.
Thanks!
SUE

Jeannie said...

Wow, Susan, tell me more!