Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Things - Kid Version

This book is for the big kids -- I'd say anywhere from 5 and 6 to 11 or 12 -- and has nearly saved my skin on more than one occasion.  It's a large book, bound on the left, so that kids can doodle all over the "place mats" as they wait for dinner to start.  Sometimes the kids are bouncing around the kitchen and dinner is just about ready, so I don't want them to leave, but I DO want them out of my hair.  So, I'll throw this at them until they can come to the table.  Did I say throw?  Ha, ha....er...I meant "hand lovingly to them with a smile."

There are also step-by-step visual instructions on each page which help kids who don't normally just draw for fun.  Check out the link in the top paragraph for this book as well as others in this same category - I love all of them!

Now for the smaller ones in your mini-van...I would like to introduce Brother Louie! 

And the Sunday School Lady!


I am really enjoying "What's In the Bible" DVDs.  They are the brain-child of Sir Phil Vischer of VeggieTales fame.  These DVDs would be perfect for any kiddo 2-10.  Well, 10 might be stretching it, but frankly, I think these are hilarious.  And I gotta tell ya, I really learned something myself! So much great content!

The first few DVDs cover a lot of great material from Genesis-Deuteronomy.  It's like a Muppet Show for Jesus.

Sorry, that might have bordered on blasphemous...
Then, when the kids are big enough to hang out online, have them go to www.jellytelly.com and play with the characters from the DVDs.

No comments: