Saturday, October 27, 2007

Undignified

This weekend was the Worship Ministry Retreat at church. One of the highlights for me was viewing a DVD called "The Price of Worship" with Dr. Jack Hayford.

I'd heard of Hayford, but never really heard him speak or read his books. His messages were so full of meat and truth and I felt so full after listening today. One of his points really stuck with me.

He spoke about David and the unabashed praise he had for God, especially in 2 Samuel 6, where the Ark of the Covenant is brought into Jerusalem. He dances before the Lord, unable to contain his joy as the presence of God comes into the city. What a sight: "So David and all Israel brought up the Ark of the Lord with much shouting and blowing of trumpets." (vs. 15)

Awesome.

And then he comes home to his wife, Michal. (v.20)

"...Michal came out to meet him and said in disgust, 'How glorious the king of Israel looked today!'" Obviously, sarcasm was a favorite weapon of Michal's.

I love David's response: (v.21,22) "...I am willing to act like a fool in order to show my joy in the Lord. Yes, and I am willing to look even more foolish than this..." (Bring in the song "Undignified" by David Crowder Band!!)

But here is what Dr. Hayford pointed out - in verse 23, "So Michal, the daughter of Saul, remained childless throughout her life."

It's no coincidence that the loss of a heart of worship leads to unfruitfulness in the life of a believer.

Oh Lord, I pray I never grow cynical or prideful as I come into Your Presence! Am I humble enough to be a fool for Him?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, that's really good!

I'm sorry we missed your calls, I had actually thought of calling you a few different times today! I should have!

I'm really looking forward to Thursday!

Love you

Anonymous said...

Wow! Good stuff! Thanks for sharing. I don't think you have to worry about anything since you have three kids and one on the way... :) You, my sister are anything but unfruitful!! :)
Love ya!