Thursday, August 09, 2007

I need an INTERMISSION of my own

Taking a break from the drama? Ha!! Not anytime soon, at least.

I am coming to you live from Rice Hospital in Willmar where I am recovering from an appendectomy. Many thanks to my friends Steve and Anne for the sweet technical hook-ups. Heaven forbid I don't get to blog about all this.

It started a week ago when I felt a dull ache in my lower right side...but I wrote that off to maybe a UTI or something...then during a follow-up visit found that, oh no, it was my inflamed and dilated appendix making me have all this discomfort.

I was pretty baffled because every appendix story I've heard is pretty outrageous with people doubled over in pain, heading for the ER. But I was managing okay. They immediately sent me to the hospital for surgery and I called Aaron who was pretty flustered at this point. It all happened really fast.

Thankfully, my older boys were in Wisconsin with Poppy and Granny and Jonny was with my sister-in-law here, so the kids were well taken care of.

Surgery went fine, but the surgeon said the appendix did in fact rupture, but was resting against my bladder or something to keep it from really rupturing. whew.

So here I am now, hunkering down for a few days. I have an IV going with antibiotics and am still dealing with a good bit of abdominal pain. I will be released Sunday or Monday.

Man, you never know what a day will bring, and I thank God things are going so smoothly. It could be much worse!!

My sweet Aaron stayed last night and brought me movies and books. I don't think he slept much but I was so glad to have him here. Then my sister-in-law, her 3 children and Jonny came by this morning, along with my friend Anne. Jonny seemed to understand I needed to be here and didn't cry when he left, thankfully.

Life is good. No complaints...just a rollercoaster of a couple days.

Strange but true appendix facts:

- it's the size of your pinkie

- the organ was originally intended to be a clean-out for foods that may have been contaminated, like our diets hundreds of years ago, but now serves little purpose. (Couldn't it just clean all the preservatives and chemicals?? ha)




7 comments:

Rachel said...

It's good to hear from you! I wanted to call last night, but figured you'd be resting up at home!

What can I bring ya, girl? Do you need some comfy slippers? How about a favorite snack? I'll give you a call after work to see how you're doing. And of course, I'm praying for you.

Lubya!

Jen said...

maybe your appendix couldn't handle cleaning out all the toxins from that chocolate covered twinkie you had.

hope you are on the mend and feeling better!!!!

Holly said...

WOW...glad everything went ok!! Get better soon!!

Melissa said...

Hope you're doing well! Hope you are able to get rested up at home. We'll be thinking of you and praying for you. Glad there were no complications.
Love, Melissa

Anonymous said...

Hey girl,
I'm glad the Lord worked everything out perfectly so you could heal and relax while getting this taken care of. Hope you feel so much better very soon!!

Much love,
Jess & Monty

Ashley M said...

MJR-
My friend! Patrick and I have been praying for you since Aaron called! If I lived near you, I would come sit with you and draw pictures of random things to keep you entertained. Also, I would sneak you in some Chick-fil-a...because I love you :)

Praying for you sister.
See you soon!
love
ashley

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.