Sunday, May 06, 2007

Stay at home, Mom!

I've been doing it for almost 6 years, you'd think I'd have it down by now. But I don't. Oh man, I really don't. And I'm tired of feeling like a failure at this.

It's this title I have a love/hate relationship with called "Stay-at-home Mom."

When I first had Gregory, I was so thankful and happy to be home with him, to spend our days together and watch him change and grow. But over time, and after having more children, I have a tough time staying motivated and challenged to STAY home, be a Mama and a homemaker. After all, there are bible studies, the Y, MOPS, Target, (oh how we mamas love our target...)


Since we moved to Minnesota, especially, I have found myself being a bit more careless with my time and running to different things just because I could, but not really because I should. After all, I had a boy in Kindergarten, so I felt a little more freedom to go places, join activities.

But this spring it's really hit me that I need to re-establish my AT HOME roles as a wife, a mother. When I am away from this home too often, it shows my neglect. It shows where my priorities are. I am not against working outside the home by any means, I am only sharing where I am and what I struggle with.

I've been reading a book called "A Woman after God's Own Heart" by Elizabeth George and it's reinforced the huge responsiblity before me of what I do everyday. I can feel God turning my heart back to my children, my home, my husband, and making sure nothing steals my dedication to them.

7 comments:

fetzer said...

You have incredible insite and honesty in your writing. It's what makes your blog one of my favorites. As a man with no childen I have no idea what it means to be a stay at home Mom. But your post provides a glimpse into what many mothers are feeling and that helps me relate and understand the women in my life.

Holly said...

It is a love/hate relationship, I agree and understand. It has been nice having a night time job where I get away for just a few hours of adult time. But, my house does suffer bc at nights is when I would pick up after the boys, and now I'm just too tired. Soon enough, sadly, I won't have my two for 2days a week, and I guess I'll use that time to clean and organize.
love ya

Susan said...

Thank you for this Jeannie!! I have been feeling this alot lately and feeling very convicted of it. In fact, I will shortly be venting it in my own post tonight. I have been forgetting the privledge it is to raise my son and daughter!

Sue Simpson

Anonymous said...

Jeannie you are an awesome 'at-home' mom! I love ya! ~Syna

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jeannie, your honesty inspires me! Thanks for your post! It's amazing how the Lord's touch can soften our hearts again and again. Love ya!

Unknown said...

i read that book a long time ago. what if dedication to family doesn't look like elizabeth george's picture? i've struggled a lot with that...felt guilty for a long time because that picture isn't our picture, and other people made me feel like it was supposed to be. still feel guilty. just don't know if i have to. i sure don't have it all worked out, and the baby adds more questions. but in other ways, she's given a few answers...
what does proverbs 31 look like in 2007?

Jeannie said...

hello my kazoo friend,
thank you for your comment. i think a book like this - you gotta take it with a grain of salt and not try to swallow it in one big gulp.

what it does for me is inspire me to set the bar higher than i currently have it. i had gotten lazy, momentarily forgetting the amazing job i have.

have you ever read "the myth of the perfect mother" by carla barnhill? you must!!! love you babe.