Monday, June 13, 2011

A Little Blog Remodeling...

Welcome!  I hope you like the makeover.  I felt like it should look more like the title, plus it's summer....and I have more time on my hands. :)


This June I celebrate 6 years of blogging!  Ain't that somethin'?  I'm having more fun than ever and I sure appreciate you sticking around.  I found this early post about parenting from 2005 and thought I'd share a bit of it once more. 
  
Thanks again and let me know what you think of the new layout!


"Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them." Psalm 127:4-5


In today's culture, this concept of children being arrows is a little confusing. But I read something recently that helped me understand this principle:
"In Solomon's day, Israel had no factories for mass-producing arrows, each identical to the others. Instead, each warrior hand-crafted his own. A tree would be cut into boards, boards into strips, and from those strips a warrior whittled his arrows.

Because arrows were handmade, no two of them were alike, and few were perfectly straight. So when the warrior would pull one of those arrows out of his quiver to use in battle, he would have to remember the peculiar bend and other characteristics of that arrow. Then he'd aim it and pull the string back according to those unique traits. Aimed correctly, the arrow would hit the mark; if not, the arrow would miss, possibly costing him his life, and his army the battle.

What Psalm 127 is telling us as moms and dads then, is that we need to have a "warrior mentality." We need to be shaping our kids into arrows that will fly straight to the target God has set for them. If we're not carefully shaping and aiming our arrows, others will try to steal them and shape them for their use. What's worse, they will aim our children at targets of their own choosing. We should never be surprised if we are wounded by members of our own family, if we have allowed sworn enemies of Christ to aim them."
(excerpt from The Christian Home School by Gregg Harris)


The Enemy would love for me to forget this important truth in the routine of the everyday. Raising children is an overwhelming task. But we are not alone. God has promised to give wisdom and strength when the "shaping and whittling" make us so tired we can barely go another step. 


Go give those arrows a big smooch.

No comments: