Monday, April 25, 2011

Speed-Reading over the Weekend


Yes, I succumbed to the hype of this book.  I've seen it in Wal-Mart, Target, everywhere for weeks now.  It's hit #1 on the non-fiction bestseller list.  And still.  I wasn't sure.

Do you ever wonder if people write books just to make money? 

Do you ever wonder if people use their own God-given children to make money?

When did I become so cynical?  Sorry. 

But once I read a short exerpt of this book, I was too curious to put it down.  Little Colton goes into surgery for a ruptured appendix and ends up having a spiritual experience no one can explain away.

He talks about meeting his sister -- not the one on earth, Cassie, but his sister who "died in Mommy's tummy" and told Colton it was okay because she was "adopted by God." Colton had never been told about his Mom's miscarriage, and yet here was this preschooler describing how she lived forever with Jesus. 

There are so many stories like this that I just can't shake as "made-up" and slick. 

Could it be possible that God is using children -- honest, unassuming children -- to help our generation wake up to the fact that Jesus is real and Heaven is a real place?  And could it be possible that the enemy of our souls is also hard at work, trying to make us believe Hell is only a figment of our imaginations?

No comments: