Sunday, March 06, 2011

I needed to hear it. Didn't want to. But needed to.

Aw, man.  I had seen this book around for awhile, but wasn't sure if I could handle another book telling me the "shoulds" of eating and living and....you know, more guilt.

But, wow.  Yes.  This book is where my pink highlighter has been hanging out lately.  I love how Lysa writes about extremely sensitive issues with graciousness.  You talk to women about eating and food and we get all defensive, you know?  Especially if you try to make our spiritual lives part of the equation.

She writes:

"...the cycle I've come to hate and feel powerless to stop continues.  Who could I talk to about this?  If I admit my struggle with food to my friends, they might try to hold me accountable the next time we go out.  And what if I'm not in the mood to be questioned about my nachos con queso with extra sour cream?


I'll just tell them I'll be starting on Monday and they'll be fine with it.  They don't think I need to make changes.


But I did need to make changes.  I knew it.  Because this wasn't about the scale or what clothing size I was; it was about this battle that raged in my heart.  I thought about, craved, and arranged my life too much around food.  So much so, I knew it was something God was challenging me to surrender to His control.  Really surrender.  Surrender to the point where I'd make radical changes for the sake of my spiritual health perhaps even more than my physical health.  


Part of my surrender was asking myself a really raw question.


May I ask you this same raw question?


Is it possible we love and rely on food more than we love and rely on God?"

Ouch.  And another ouch was this line, "Shallow desires result in shallow results."


Getting healthy/thin/in shape must be about something more than just me.  It needs to be journey I take with my Father God, recognizing that He is my reward, my joy, my place to go in times of sadness, stress, and even happiness -- not food.

You can check out more of the book and Lysa's website here.

No comments: