Thursday, August 19, 2010

What is Gungor?

No, it's not a Star Wars planet, although it does sound like it.

  Gungor is my favorite new music find.  I can't remember how I found them, but somehow I stumbled into this album, probably through itunes or something. 

I'm been desperate for "real" music this year.  Music that isn't polished or pretty all the time.  Music with lyrics that speak to a poet's heart.  And this definitely hit the bulls-eye.  Michael Gungor, the founder and lead vocalist, also writes a great blog, where his latest post is about pop music today - it's hilarious and thought-provoking at the same time.

Here are my favorite tracks from the album:

Beautiful Things - starts out mellow, then builds to a point where you wanna roll down the windows and sing as loudly as possible.  Or maybe that's just me.

Heaven (feat. Israel Houghton) - Well, I just love anything with Israel Houghton in it.

Please Be My Strength - I listen to this at the end of the day when everyone's in bed and it's been One. Of. Those. Days.

The Earth Is Yours - The coolest part is the beginning.  I think they are stomping on leaves or something.  Then it becomes this amazing song of worship.  Turns that morning run/bike ride into some serious church.  Then go to YouTube and see how they plunked down in a real forest and played it unplugged.

Call Me Out - So fun musically, but great lyrics, too



1 comment:

Brian and Kelly Jo Kallevig said...

if you are looking for some more good stuff, try www.forerunnermusic.com.
Great, great stuff. Most of it is only singing scripture, but with some sweet music. Misty Edwards is wonderful as is Julie Meyers. enter the site on the link towards the top right. then you can even download a free album on that page-it is really, really good.