Sunday, October 05, 2008

And Now it's Time to Talk About What We Learned Today...

(Insert VeggieTales Song)

I had the awesome responsibility of leading worship today. It was exhilirating, and...well, exhausting. Our set went like this:

Hear Our Praises
Bless the Lord (Jeff Deyo version)
Be Magnified

(Offertory) Jesus, Lover of my Soul ("It's All About You" from Passion: One Day)

(During Communion) Wonderful, Merciful Savior
The Wonderful Cross w/ When I Survey

Sing to The King


I would like to take this opportunity to thank several worship pastors I've learned from in my life: Josh H., Tim B., Josh B., Jason G., Mark F. -- all great men who loved Jesus, loved leading people into worship.

I have new respect for you guys, for the week after week of preparation and prayer. There's almost a physical weight that you can feel as you realize it's your responsibility to lead people into the presence of God. Whew.

One of things I struggled with the most today was what to say. It's really hard to just be sincere during song transitions and not spout a bunch of Christian phrases/cliches you've heard all your life. Hard not to feel cheesy.

But thankful God was glorified. Thankful it is DONE. Thankful for a church where the Spirit is welcome and there is freedom.

And Rachel, Allison, Tricia, if you're reading this, thank you so much for worshiping/leading today and being true friends. You are family.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh Jeannie!

Worship yesterday morning was amazing, thank you!

Josh H said...

Jeannie,
I was blessed to be able to worship with you for short time. Melissa and I would have loved to have been at your church on Sunday and have you lead us in worship!

I gotta say... that is the one thing I miss the most right now in ministry. And I think it's been that way since I left Kalamazoo. Haha.

Take care, my friend. We miss you guys and hope you are doing well.

Josh Howard

Unknown said...

we heard this guy in minneapolis, bob kauflin. he arranged songs for Glad for a hundred years, stuff like that. music at this level obviously isn't my thing, but it was totally cool to listen to someone who is passionate about what he does and completely comfortable handling what the scripture says about music. thought you might find his book interesting. i haven't read it, but yeah.

bob kauflin - Worship Matters: Leading Others to Encounter the Greatness of God