Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Signed, Sealed, Delivered - I'm Yours

Can you remember the last time you received a hand-written letter? I can. It came last year with a birthday card from my Dad. Needless to say, it is an incredible treasure to me.

I'm also delighted when Aaron writes to me in our "book." We decided awhile back to forget Hallmark cards (for the most part) and write in a specific blank book set aside for the big "card" days like anniversaries and birthdays and Valentine's, etc.

Maybe it's just my "love language" but a hand-written note is like gold to me: precious, rare, beautiful.

As a young girl, I loved playing around with handwriting and trying to make my script "cool", but Junior High School was where I fine-tuned the art of writing letters. My goodness, I would be a rich woman if I could get those letters back somehow that were stealthily passed between classes, slipped into the vents in my locker, or put inside the cover of my textbook.

My dear friend, Holly K. (now Holly M.) and I were master note-writers. We observed everything and left out no minor detail. We were obsessed with the complex social behaviors and norms of being a new teenager and discovering ourselves. I would not have survived 7th and 8th grade without her notes; I really believe that.

And, oh death, the risk of having a note found, read, or even worse -- posted for all to see. The teachers tried to stop it, but it was pointless. We were addicted to writing. It was impossible to stop.

I still can't stop. Don't want to. I watched the film "Pride and Prejudice" (the newer one with Keira Knightly) this week and loved how letters played such a huge part of the plot. It sounds old-fashioned, but letters are a lost charm. I hope they make a come-back.

5 comments:

Holly said...

This maybe bad, but I've never read "Pride and Prejudice". But, I have seen the newer movie, and I LOVE it!!
And, every once in awhile, my best friend Mrs. Bethany Locke will send me a note of encouragement, and I too enjoy it!

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

I love the blank book idea. Yup, I'm stealing that one Myrna Jean! It's funny, I can see your handwriting clear as day- I always picture leaning over the choir attendance book with all your little post it notes. I remember thinking I was so cool when I took over your choir job! Crazy, huh?

Beth Wilmot said...

Oh, the days of passing notes in school! I was one of the unfortunate ones to have a note posted on a classroom wall. That's cruel and unusual punishment for a teenage girl!

Jeannie said...

oh you make me laugh, mrs. grate. i cannot remember the post-it notes to save my life. i DO remember thinking: I cannot have any fun because I always have to take stinking attendance during tour. Whatever! What a whiner! I thought I was cool when I took over Heidi's job on devotions cause I just about worshiped her. still love that girl...

I found an old tour "handbook" that emmy v. and mark wilson made and about fell over laughing. that was one funny time. we need a "clod" reunion somewhere someday in heaven.

Angele Myska said...

Oh girl, you are speaking my language...people who don't love to read and write (aka my man) think that I'm obsessed (unhealthily...is that a word?) with blogging. Truth be told, I'm wayyyyy behind on all I got to say...these blogs are letters to myself so I won't ever again forget where I've been and where I'm going.

it's my dream for my man to read my blog and find out more about who I am inside...but alas, he's not ready for the fullness of my coolness!

thanks be to God, there's you, there's Josh, and others who get me, who feel me...as I wait for my man to remember all of me.

i never throw away notes as long as they still bless me...they're all tucked away somewhere...each handwritten recipe from my grandma, each thank you note for a well thought out gift...even each boyfriend I ever had has their own box of old notes...and over the years, I've let those notes go on to note heaven/trash, because I don't need them anymore. I don't need to remember the girl they once liked/loved/obsessed over...because I've got the one I've always looked for.

and while my man doesn't write me notes anymore...I hold dear the few that he did write in our early dating days...I keep the post-it note on which he wrote years ago that my first attempt at homemade soup was a success in his eyes...he loves me so much in his own way that I don't mind so much that he doesn't write me anymore...

cuz once in awhile, I get a great email...and print it so i'll remember that handwriting is prefered, but his emails are what he can give "write" now ;-)

keep writing!

p.s. i did the blank book thing once with my high school sweetheart and it was great. short, like the relationship...but now I'm writing new love notes with my soul mate and it's so sweet!

p.p.s. we're having a clod reunion right now, it's called blog heaven!