Thursday, July 26, 2007

Thoughts from a MOP


MOPS. Not the kind being slowly replaced by Swiffers and other funky gadgets. Mothers of Preschoolers, an organization for the encouragement and spiritual refreshment of Mamas.


I used to think MOPS was a little cheesy. Looking from the outside in, I thought it appeared superficial and "girly" and wondered if I'd really feel comfortable there. Six years ago, I walked into my first MOPS meeting and found a few surprises. Sincerity. Grace. Laughter. And food. Mmmm, real good food. I was hooked.

Since then, I've been blessed to participate in MOPS groups in West Michigan, the suburbs of Houston, Texas, and now small-town Minnesota. Each one was so unique and I've learned more than I ever dreamed.

This year I am the Coordinator for the MOPS group I started attending last fall. No one is more surprised about this than I am! I've never been on a Steering Team for MOPS, much less the leader, but I am confident in The One who called me and that He will equip me for this challenge. I've received so much from MOPS these past few years and I'm more than happy to give back whatever I can.

I just got home a few hours ago from our planning retreat, and I am overwhelmed by the very evident work of God in this group. He is up to something good here, and I'm privileged to be a part of it.

The logo above is the theme for this year, "The HOME factor" and you can check out our website with the link to the left under "Take a Look."

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I can't wait to join MOPS again. It was the highlight of my week whenever I went!

Holly said...

I'm considering joing one! I'm a little leary though :)

Jeannie said...

hey holly! Well, there's no perfect group, that's for sure, but if you stick with it and find some real hearts, you'll be glad for it.

Susan said...

That is so awesome!! I am the MOPPETS Coordinator for my MOPS group this year and sometimes feel very scared!! I have co coordinated for the last two years! I have been so blessed by my MOPS group! I will pray that all goes well for your MOPS group and your role this year!
Sue Simpson

Jeannie said...

susan!
well, i think you should move to minnesota because we can't seem to find anyone to lead our MOPPETS! :) As a steering team, I think we're going to divide the responsibilities and try to "groom" someone to step in starting January...it's such an important position!

Jana said...

Jeannie:
I am not at all surprised that you are the MOPS coordinator. When Ryan was a toddler (years ago), I was involved in MOPS for about 6 years. It was great. But, it is as good as the leader and the steering committee. You will do great because you are so creative and fun. By the way, LOVE all the pictures of your kids and family. Love ya,

Jana

Janine said...

I enjoyed MOPS so much I considered having another child so I could stay in it after Allie went off to school. I am glad you are having such a great experience.